logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Foot access on cycleways

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Jul 20 21:08:20 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:34:20PM +0200, Chris66 wrote:
>Am 20.07.2010 13:15, schrieb Marko Mäkelä:
>
>> It also occurs to me that highway=cycleway or
>> highway=path&bicycle=designated implies foot=yes in the default style.
>> That seems wrong to me;
>
>Even if this is "wrong" in terms of Wiki, the foot=yes is
>often forgotten by mappers, so I think it's not a
>good idea to imply foot=no for cycleways.

You're right, it might not be a good idea to imply foot=no for
highway=cycleway. Many mappers seem to be ignorant of the access tags,
as well as surface=*, lit=yes/no, segregated=yes/no. In countries like
NL or DE where there are regions with a well built "bicycle motorway"
network, the highway=cycleway could really mean foot=no (and there would
be a foot path nearby), but in other places, it usually implies
foot=designated.

It could be least ambiguous to abandon the highway=cycleway tagging
altogether and use highway=path instead. JOSM seems to promote this, by
rendering highway=path, foot=designated, bicycle=designated as
green-magenta lines.

BTW, it can be an eye-opening experience to visit places where bicycling
or walking is not that common. For example in Tallinn, the capital of
Estonia (a flat country comparable to Denmark), there are few cycleways
and you cannot expect to find a pedestrian crossing in every street
corner. But as soon as you get out of the city, you don't really need
cycleways: there is not too much traffic, and the motorists pass
bicycles with a great distance.

	Marko