logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Car SatNav recommendations

From garvan&maew garvan.maew at online.com.kh on Sat Jun 5 01:34:21 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 17:36 +0200, Carlos Dávila wrote:
> El 04/06/10 02:26, Greg Troxel escribió:
> > I am using an Etrex Vista HCx with mkgmap with good results.  A friend
> > has an oregon 450 which seems ok in terms of maps/routing (waas issues,
> > apparently no way to display seconds for camera sync, awkward tracklog
> > saving).
> >
> > I am unclear on how the nuvi line works for OSM, but it's a good question.
> I use an Etrex Legend HCx and a nüvi 300, both with good results. For in
> car use+error search I find much more useful the nüvi, so I would
> suggest this option. You may have to tune styles files and play around
> with mkgmap options to fit your needs, but even using default style I
> would say most errors you may find will be data errors rather than
> device errors.

I have not had problems with any GARMIN device I tried (eTrex, nuvi &
GPS60 series) displaying my maps. The default color schemes are
different on some devices, but that is about it.

These are my buying tips:
If buying a nuvi, check to make sure it has an off road setting in
"Route Preferences", so you can switch off the "jump to nearest road"
feature, and use the device for recording new roads.

If buying a hand-held GPS (like the eTrex or GPS60) make sure it has
external storage for loading large maps, and that it supports automatic
routing (my eTrex does not support routing but the eTrex Vista HCx does,
so be careful).

Garvan