logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Thu May 27 12:00:00 BST 2010

>> Only solution I think is to make --route default and
>> compulsory for the moment. Else people will create maps that havoc other
>> maps without realising.
>>

> I strongly advice against this. The problem has been around a very long time
> and nobody noticed, so I don't think it is that critical. The workaround is
> simple: Do not use the latest version of MS/BC until the problem is fixed.
>
> On the other hand, routable maps seem to be much larger than non-routable
> maps. If you change the behaviour of mkgamp there you can break things by
> enlarging the maps so they do not fit into the memory they used previously.
> If the map is tailored to fit an 1GB SD card, it will no longer. There are
> older devices that have a limited amount of built-in memory and you might
> make maps unusable that now are fitting into the devices.
>
> In short: I think a compulsory change would break more than it helps right
> now.

Felix, I appreciate your detailed work in investigate this bug, which
will concern  mkgamp in the future. But at the moment it is not known,
where this NOD-Bit resides, so we can not do a clean solution.

As you have shown with your detailed work, there is a simple workaround.
If you want universal non-routable maps, then delete the routing
specific entries from the style file and set the --route option.
Therefore it *IS* an option, to be able for each user to fulfill their
own needs. There is no need to make this mandatory.

Ok, I admit it is a little confusing at the moment to need to set the
--route option to generate a working nonroutable map for the future
version of MS, but I think it is only a matter of time, until mkgmap
handles the flag correctly. If in future the problem will become a
bigger one, for sure someone wil look for a solution. At the moment
there is simply no urgent need.