logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Incorrect capitalisation of first letters of every word during mkgmap style processing

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Apr 29 18:04:10 BST 2010

On 29.04.2010 18:57, Charlie Ferrero wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I use the following style rules to add more information to the names of
> mountain peaks:
>
> natural=peak&  ele ~'[\d\s]*m' {name '${name} (${ele})' | 'Peak
> (${ele})'} [0x6616 resolution 20]
> natural=peak&  ele ~'[\d\s]*ft' {name '${name} (${ele})'| 'Peak
> (${ele})'} [0x6616 resolution 20]
> natural=peak {name '${name} (${ele}m)' | 'Peak (${ele}m)' | '${name}' }
> [0x6616 resolution 20]
>
> This works as I would expect, except where the original tags include a
> space between the elevation and the "ft" or "m" suffix, eg:
> natural=peak
> name=Mount Gizmo
> ele=1200 m
>
> This gets processed by mkgmap into a POI with the name
> "Mount Gizmo (1200 M)"
>
> Similarly,
> natural=peak
> name=Mount Gizmo
> ele=1200 ft
>
> Gets turned into "Mount Gizmo (1200 Ft)"
>
> The same problem crops up when mkgmap converts a postcode from the
> addr:postcode tab.  You end up with addresses like:
> Place, Some Street, Some Town, UK Sw4 0jg when it should read
> Place, Some Street, Some Town, UK SW4 0JG
>
> Thus mkgmap is capitalising the first letter of all words in names and
> addresses and lower-casing the rest, even if they were upper-case to
> start with.  Is there any way of stopping mkgmap from doing this?
> Indeed, is there a reason for it to do this in the first place.

It's not mkgmap, it's Garmin that does it (probably so mapmakers don't
need to think about it - as if they don't, it will held readability)....
Have you tried using --lower-case??
(actually I'ld be interested how --lower-case works on different GPS,
and which will fuck up completly if you use it, which will "tolerate"
it, and which are compatible...)