logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] avg speed on roads

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Fri Apr 23 14:24:46 BST 2010

On 23.04.2010 15:04, Greg Troxel wrote:
>    Measuring the avg. speed for sections of 10-20km on primarys is
>    something low like 35km/h on some parts and something like 55km/h on
>    fast parts. The max speed on these sections is mostly 80km/h but in
>    the end nobody gets that fast.
>
> In Mass the speed limits are on most ways from the MassGIS import.  I
> believe mkgmap can look at speeds and turn that into a speed bin for
> garmin, separately from primary/secondary.
>
> There has been discussion of this before, but AFAIK no real resolution.
> It seems that almost everyone agrees that having a tag that describes
> the typical speeds would be sensible.  The problem is that typical
> speeds are time dependent, and that's too complicated.
>
> I'm not sure if there are formal tagging proposals.  I would go with
>
> typical_speeed=
>
> to represent the travel speeds that are normally obtainable during
> day/evening *outside* of "rush hour".  This is a single number, useful
> for a lot of circumstances.
>
> Then, having a more complicated tag that gives a transform from type of
> day and time of day to speed could be done - but it's a slippery slope
> and pretty soon you want real-time data.  But garmin maps don't support
> time-dependent data.

Garmin maps do, at least NT type maps do. However we don't know how to
encode it.

at least NT type maps support time dependant restrictions, they also
support maxspeed, but we don't know how to encode it. There are plenty
other things, like junction view, lane assist, and so on, which we don't
know how to encode (or maybe only possible in NT format).