logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Recycling menu items in the Oregon

From Daniela Duerbeck daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de on Tue Apr 20 00:13:01 BST 2010

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> One could argue that such tiny icons cannot be copyrighted
Oh, to draw tiny icons is far more complicated than to draw larger ones.
16x16 pixel icons are e.g. very difficult to draw, if you want to make
them placative and meaningful.
>  or that this is
> fair use in a commentary. But I would prefer to avoid any lawyers and
> hair-splitting.

Yes, I think this the better way.
In the meantime, I added some groups of POIs for the Oregon 450. Could
you please have a look at it? I tried to simply describe the icons
without trying to put a meaning into them. (*)
I am not yet finished, it is a bit annoying. Is there a more easy way to
add a column in the table? I read the wiki-docu, but found nothing.
So I have to add each row separately?

I also found a bug at type 0x1c and 0x1d.
There should be some rows merged together.

What I also do not understand are subtypes above 1f. The typfile editors
I have seen allow just subtypes until 1f. But when you use subtypes
above 1f, there is something displayed. Normally the lower subtypes are
simply copied, but there could be space to use for additional osm
subtypes.So why not expand the typfile editors to subtypes above 1f?
I used a small program that Charly sent to me that creates an osm-file
and some style files that I put together into a map using mkgmap.

Dani

P.S: (*) One icon leaves me puzzled: I cannot figure out what Garmin could have meant with it. It is a black "cave" or tunnel with a questionmark.