logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Description text

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Fri Apr 16 08:37:14 BST 2010

On 16.04.2010 07:53, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:52:41PM +0200, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>
>> I think here could be (new) functions like "p.getWebsite" and so on called.
>>
> I think that it would be better to use the mkgmap: name space for it.
> The style definition would translate the attributes to, say,
> mkgmap:description, and the core of mkgmap would copy that attribute to the
> Garmin format.
>

>>> I found one oddity last year: addr:housenumber='12-14' (should
>>> probably be 12;14 in the OSM notation) was displayed as "12 Apt 4" if
>>> I remember correctly. Also, I find the English-style order of
>>> "housenumber street" and "city zip" backwards. To my knowledge,
>>> continental Europe uses "street housenumber" and "zip city".
>>>

>> Perhaps these were incorrectly tagged?
>>
> No, I am seeing this for all POIs, and the 12-14 was something that I tagged
> myself.  Say, I have an address
>
> Hauptstraße 1
> 12345 Musterstadt
>
> It will be displayed as
>
> 1 Haupstraße
> Musterstadt 12345
>
> Are you seeing the same? If I remember correctly, I saw it in this format in
> the gmapsupp.img too.
>

>>> I think that the correct way to implement the translation would be via the
>>> style file. The style file would compose a mkgmap:description from the
>>> addr:*, phone, opening_hours, website, url, description and whatnot, based on
>>> the type of the POI as needed.  Are there any fixed fields, such as phone
>>> number encoded in some special format?
>>>

>> I think that that would be too much.
>> It would be better (IMHO) to just expand a little the existing code and
>> leave the style files as they are.
>> The benefit would be, that millions of style-file users would have to do
>> nothing.
>>
> Are there really that many style files in circulation?  For backward
> compatibility, we could keep the old behaviour when no mkgmap:description
> attribute exists.  Anyone who wants anything fancier will tweak the style
> file or use the default style.

I'ld prefer namespacing too. Makes it much more controllable.

And don't forget - there is only a certain range of POI where the
additional address/info field is usable on Garmin GPS/Mapsource. For the
vast majority of POI those fields are not usable - hence no need to add
any additional information to them (except if your usage is mainly
Qlandkarte GT).