logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Description text

From Daniela Duerbeck daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de on Thu Apr 15 21:32:16 BST 2010

Toby Speight wrote:
> POIs with address information have this in their description when viewed
> on my eTrex, but the generation of this appears to be hard-coded.  It
> would be nice to be able to have different information in there - opening
> hours for shops, or telephone numbers for pubs and hotels, for example.
>
> So, would it be possible to make this more general?  I'm thinking of
> having a tag, say "mkgmap:description", that if set would be used for
> this content.  Then our style rules could be used to apply the above.

Easier (with the existing code) would be IMHO to hardcode more information and add descriptional lines (Address: ... Phone number: ... Website: ...) etc.

Sometimes there are phonenumbers added, but they cannot easily be recognized as phone numbers since thy lack the prefixes.
One time, I thought they were artifacts from the generating code instead of phone numbers. :-)

The possible keys are really well defined, so it is easy for an experienced Java-Programmer to add a few new functions.

That would also be easier to implement and it would not be necessary to change someting in the interface or style files. I looked at the Java-code: it would really just need some new functions that are pretty equal to the existing ones.

You would just need the new mkgmap and see a lot more information. :-)

Dani