logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] question about styles and routing

From Valentijn Sessink valentyn at blub.net on Sun Apr 11 14:05:42 BST 2010

Hello list,

I'm trying to get better bicycle routing in my Garmin map; however, I
don't know much about styles and the Garmin mapping, so I thought it
might be wise to ask questions first (and shoot later):

What I thought I'd do is make a sort of double routing for bicycles:
when a road is on national biking paths (at least in the Netherlands,
this means a tag "network=ncn") or regional bike paths (network=rcn), I
might want an extra road with higher routing preference, only for bikes.
This would mean a sort of double road; but I'm hoping it will only
affect bicycle routing:

highway=unclassified & network!=ncn & network!=rcn [0x06 road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 21]
highway=unclassified [0x06 road_class=1 road_speed=2 resolution 21 continue]
highway=unclassified & network=ncn {set access=no; set bicycle=yes }
[0x06 road_class=3 road_speed=1 resolution 18 continue]
highway=unclassified & network=rcn {set access=no; set bicycle=yes }
[0x06 road_class=2 road_speed=1 resolution 19]

(This should probably be done for other types of highway as well, but I
did not think the chances of a bike path going through a highway=primary
too high ;)

Also, in the same way, get different bicycle paths:

highway=cycleway & network=ncn {add access = no; add bicycle = yes; add
foot = yes} [0x16 road_class=3 road_speed=1 resolution 18]
highway=cycleway & network=rcn {add access = no; add bicycle = yes; add
foot = yes} [0x16 road_class=2 road_speed=1 resolution 19]
highway=cycleway {add access = no; add bicycle = yes; add foot = yes}
[0x16 road_class=2 road_speed=1 resolution 23]

Would this, theoretically, work? (And if not, why not?)

Best regards,

Valentijn