logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] add-poi-to-areas: What, if there is already a poi?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Fri Apr 9 10:03:07 BST 2010

Daniela Duerbeck (daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I debugged the zoo in Munich:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.09736&lon=11.55587&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
> in its way there are two entrances tagged with tourism=zoo. These seem
> to prevent --add-poi-to-areas from creating a poi called "Tierpark
> Hellabrunn".
> But when I search in my Garmin for the nearest zoo, I will now just find
> "Isareingang" and "Flamingoeingang" but not "Tierpark Hellabrunn". This
> is not so good for a tourist that knows just the name of the zoo.
>
> I looked further for other POIs that where not created because there was
> already one and found e.g. this one:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.062073&lon=11.682696&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
> Here "Hallenbad Riemerling" is tagged twice: one time in the building,
> second time a separate POI.
>
> Would something be against it, to create just no new POI if there is
> already a POI with this type AND with this name?
>
> Dani

In my view the --add-pois-to-areas option would benefit from some
improvements.  As it becomes ever more common to create buildings in
OSM, rather than simple POIs, the number of useful POIs (shops,
schools, supermarkets, fuel stations etc) created without the
--add-pois-to-areas option enabled will shrink proportionately.  The
problem with the --add-pois-to-areas option at the moment, as many
have pointed out, is that there is no easy way to set exactly which
areas get POIs, so you end up with lots of pointless POIs for forests,
graveyards, parks etc.  A new {create_POI} action rule for the polygon
style file would be very handy.  Even better would be
{create_POI:0x6400} etc.

Unfortunately I'm java illiterate so all I can do is waffle...

--
Charlie