logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] NSIS Problems with 2G limit

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Thu Apr 8 13:14:45 BST 2010

Am 08.04.2010 um 12:48 schrieb Christoph Wagner:

> I am not a windows hacker and have no knowledge about the nsis system.
> Maybe we could add some params to the --nsis option of mkgmap like:
>
> --nsis=nodata
>
> or something to avoid including the files in the exe directly.

In principle you could do that. But you don't need that option, because if the installation data is not included in the installer you could build it once and change only the data.

The user has to download several files though and you will need some error checking to see that all needed files are present and that they are from the same map (especially for updates). IMHO the nice thing about NSIS is that the users needs only one file for download.

Another approach would be to split your map of Europe into several parts, say northern Europe and southern Europe. If you run the splitter on the whole of Europe and select the tiles that go into each part for mkgmap, the parts should fit perfectly and routing should work as well. This will also reduce the download volume for users that are interested only in some part of Europe.

Regards
Thilo