logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Generate coastline - can we keep the coastline way?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Mar 25 10:35:22 GMT 2010

24.03.2010 16.35.55, Marko Mäkelä kirjoitti:
> 24.03.2010 16.33.15, Toby Speight kirjoitti:
>> When --generate-coastline=multipolygon fails, I'm left with a map
>> that has no distinction between land and sea.  However, if I don't
>> use --generate-coastline, I at least get a line (from my style/
>> lines). Is there any good reason why generating coastline prevents
>> the line rules from being applied to the coastline ways?
>
> Are you generating different maps all the time, or is there some
> other  reason why you cannot work out the reason why
> generate-coastline is  failing? I got

Sorry, please disregard this message. I wanted to compose a reply
yesterday, and apparently my email program saved the draft and decided
that I want to send it today. :-(

I wanted to say that if you are always generating the same region, it
should not be that hard to enable the logging and to work out from the
error messages what the issues are. For example, the Geofabrik extract
of Finland includes some incomplete natural=coastline islands, and the
coastline will not reach the map boundary. I fixed these issues with a
small Perl filter that omits the incomplete ways and moves the
coastline endpoints to the tile border. You can get my scripts from
http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/.

Best regards,

	Marko