logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Etrex sea floods tile unless well zoomed out

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon Mar 1 21:27:45 GMT 2010

On 01.03.2010 22:15, Mark Burton wrote:
> Felix,
>

>> Just another thought. Are you using single color or pattern for land?
>> Try using a pattern for land (set both colors the same, or for maptk set
>> just one pixel to a different color).
>>
>> Using single color instead of pattern, does definitely sometimes lead to
>> problems. Garmin modern tpyfiles use patterns for all polys.
>>
> OK - noted.
>
> You will be pleased to know that I have taken your advice and started
> looking at using MapTk to generate the typ file.
>
> I can generate a file but, weirdly, mapsource is ignoring my polyline
> styles. The couple of POIs I have and the polygons appear to be working
> OK, it's just the polylines it is ignoring. The file isn't huge so I
> have attached it to this email, please take a quick look at the
> polylines in case there is something obvious I am doing wrong.
>
> BTW - I can edit those polyline styles in MapTk and they look just as
> they should.
>
> Mark

Well *first* there is one problem, that I took quite some time to find
out. If you have transparent symbol for bridges/tunnels,
you will need to use for all lines that have even line number, bitmap
lines, else they are not put into the middle.

*Second*, and here the author of maptk does not agree to my opinion. If
you set polygons to one single color (for both single color and bitmap)
maptk sets the second color to transparent (only when using GUI). I do
go into the .prj with text editor and change second color to the same
color. This is only important for the background polygon. Else in
Mapsource 6.13 map panning is slower.

A second nuisance with maptk is that it sets all colors to the 256 color
palette for polygons and polylines when clicking on "edit" for a
polygon/line. So if you differentiate further (e.g. to have more
differentiation in Mapsource, but know to which color the etrex rounds a
polygon) then you are not allowed to use the GUI to edit the colors. POI
are fine and not modified.
Also setting polygons to be invisible is strange on GUI edit.
The good thing is, the .prj file will be compiled as it is, without
those GUI corrections which are supposedly meant to help you do less
errors. So if you don't agree to maptk GUI behaviour when editing single
objects, you can easily just do it with text editor.