logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Confusing results when uploading.

From Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com on Mon Feb 15 12:27:41 GMT 2010

Hello Charlie

Charlie Ferrero wrote:
> Dave F. wrote:
>
> It's a bit tricky to understand what you're trying to do in the second
> compile.  For instance, you're applying --remove-short-arcs to pre-built
> IMG files, which doesn't make much sense.
I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that.
I'm aware that the options are processed in the order I list them, but
surely mkgmap knows what they are to be applied to. ie the .OSM file &
not the .IMGs that are part of the --gmapsupp option?

>   You're also mixing
> pre-existing IMG files with OSM files, which I'd avoid if I were you.
> Better to create all the IMG files seperately, then compile them into
> your ultimate gmapsupp.img in one step at the end.

I'm following instructions from the mkgmap wiki:

*--gmapsupp* Write a gmapsupp.img file, possibly joining previous
gmapsupp.img (you need to copy in the Mkgmap's working directory), that
can be uploaded to a Garmin device in USB mode.

java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp corsica.img cyprus.img mallorca.img malta.img tenerife.img

Are you saying this is to be avoided?

I appreciate your website. I've found it very useful.

Cheers
Dave F.