logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Which .osm nodes/elements/attributes does mkgmap use &ignore?

From Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com on Sun Feb 14 15:14:01 GMT 2010

Garvan & maew wrote:
> You could try converting the file with gpsbabel
>
> gpsbabel -i kml -f test.kml -o osm -F test.osm
>
> And then see if you are happy with the translation, or if you still need
> to add more features. At least you will have a starting point on what
> tags you need.
Thanks for the replies. I probably should have said the main purpose of
this exercise is to teach myself XSL which is used to transform one XML
(KML) to another (OSM).

My KML file has a parent/child folder structure eg there's are folders
called 'Tall Buildings' & 'Short Buildings' that contain list of tall &
short buildings respectively. Unfortunately GPSBabel appears to remove
this folder structure & just lists all the buildings together; so I have
no way to identify them as either tall or short to give them  different
icons in the IMG file.

Incidently GPSBabel doesn't produce the <bounds> tag yet still converts
to an IMG successfully.

For a point GPSBabel produces just these tag/attributes:
<node id='-4331' visible='true' lat='51.155506' lon='-2.575480'>
So I'll just use those

Cheers
Dave F.