logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Maps crashing Mapsource in big cities

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Fri Feb 12 15:13:41 GMT 2010

MB> Not sure what Chris is referring to there.

A couple of things:

1) The current approach where the splitter holds on to any nodes within a
certain overlap outside each tile is slightly flawed. For example if a way
crosses a tile edge, then if the nearest node in that way which falls outside
the tile also falls outside the overlap area, the line segment crossing the
tile edge will be lost and hence mkgmap will not be able to join the tiles
seamlessly. However I'm yet to see much evidence that this is a problem in
practice.
2) Relations that cross tile boundaries aren't preserved in their entirety.
This has been discussed on the list recently, and is known to cause problems.

Another limitation of the splitter is that it doesn't yet handle relations
containing other relations. I'm not sure how much this matters as far as
mkgmap is concerned.