logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Boundary names, relations and left:*, right:* tags

From Toby Speight T.M.Speight.90 at cantab.net on Sat Feb 6 11:58:23 GMT 2010

0> In article <20091214215948.GC7911 at x60s>,
0> Marko Mäkelä <URL:mailto:marko.makela at iki.fi> ("Marko") wrote:

Marko> Hi Toby, all, and sorry for replying to an old post.

Wow, that *is* old!  :-)

Marko> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 03:57:41PM +0100, Toby Speight wrote:

>> I have this in my style/lines:
>>
>> /------
>> | boundary=administrative
>> |   { name '${left:country}/${right:country}' | '${left:county}/${right:county}' }
>> | boundary=administrative & admin_level<5 | boundary=national [0x1e resolution 17]
>> | boundary=administrative & admin_level<7 | boundary=political [0x1d resolution 19]
>> | #boundary=administrative [0x1c resolution 21]
>> | boundary=national [0x1e resolution 17]
>> | boundary=political [0x1c resolution 17]
>> \------
>>
>> I haven't really tweaked it to my liking, but it shows the principle.

Marko> I adapted this for the default style last week.
Marko>
Marko> However, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary says
Marko> that relations are used in order to avoid "name:left name:right,
Marko> nation:right, region:right." I did not investigate if such *:left and
Marko> *:right tags have been used in place of left:* and right:*, but I
Marko> would like to remove the rules for left:* and right:* and solely rely
Marko> on the relation names (one relation per country/province/city/suburb
Marko> etc.).  Seeing unnamed "State border" lines on the Garmin map should
Marko> encourage mappers to define boundary relations.
Marko>
Marko> What do you think?  Should I remove the rules for left:*, right:*
Marko> names from the default style, or should I just add a comment to
Marko> the effect that "these are deprecated, see the 'relations' file
Marko> and wiki/Relation:boundary"?

The boundary relations weren't in (common) use at the time I wrote that
rule; do we have a way to get the relation values onto the lines?  If
so, then great.  As to whether to deprecate the above, or just remove
it, I have no strong opinions.

Thanks for chasing this up - and I though /I/ was a long way behind with
reading this list!