logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] "Name" .... once again

From Toby Speight T.M.Speight.90 at cantab.net on Sat Feb 6 10:45:44 GMT 2010

0> In article <4B68344D.4080103 at gmail.com>,
0> Felix Hartmann <URL:mailto:extremecarver at googlemail.com> ("Felix") wrote:

Felix> b) Does anyone know, if there is a possibility to shorten names?
Felix> e.g. I would like to cut:
Felix> /Big Street/ into /BigStr/
Felix> Or /anotherstreet/ into /anotherstr/

If you'll excuse me plugging my own work, this is the sort of thing that
geotagman was invented to do:

<set key=name>
  <replace case="ignore" from="\s*(str)eet$" to="$1">
    <value key="name"/>
  </replace>
</set>

Felix> a) Now that the style-branch action rule handling has been
Felix> implemented, It would in principle be easy to have different
Felix> names on pupups/routing instruction, vs "printed" labels.  Only I
Felix> am not able to get it to work...

If anyone is working on this stuff, it would be nice if such things
would default to getting their values from some mkgmap:* tags rather
than needing distinct actions.  For example, if the 'name' action
defaulted to getting its value from 'mkgmap:name' then we could use
'set' rules instead of being constrained to the 'add'-like behaviour of
'name' (and geotagman would Just Work ;-).