logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with --adjust-turn-headings

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Feb 5 21:15:06 GMT 2010

Hi Steve,

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:37:58PM +0000, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> > On a related note, I was driving a car today (untypical of me, since we
> > do not have one), and got a turning prompt where the twoway
> > highway=secondary became a "dual carriageway", entering
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4492154
> > from the east.  The transition is seamless on the road.
> >
> > 	Marko
> >
> That's easy! The mapper (user:alv) forgot to put the oneway=yes tags on
> the two lanes of the dual carriageway where it met to
> single-carriageway. So mkgmap thinks that there is a valid fork in the
> road there.

Oh, I did not notice the missing oneway=yes.  I am just editing based on my
collected traces, and I will also make the fork angle less steep.
User:alv is a long-time mapper, but there is the Finnish proverb
"aina roiskuu, kun rapataan" (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Finnish_proverbs),
roughly meaning that errors occur when you do work.

> I think if you put the oneway tags in, the message will stop happening.
> I could do it, but I don't live there so I don't know for sure what is
> on the ground. I must leave it to you.

I have been fixing obvious bugs (such as this) in Finland without thinking
much.  One of the funniest examples was a mini-roundabout on a highway=track
that I interpreted as highway=cycleway (it was parallel to a highway).  When
in doubt (such as on duplicate POIs in an area I do not know), I have asked
the mapper.

	Marko