logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Making splitter and MultiPolygon code play together

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 2 21:34:50 GMT 2010

Hi Apollinaris,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:35:26AM -0800, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> ideally splitter should keep the whole relation in each tile which contains
> nodes/ways of this relation.
> mkgmap can fail on incomplete relations

Currently, splitter seems to preserve the relation, but it may discard
relation members or nodes constituting ways in the relation.  I investigated
that mkgmap was complaining about.

In the tile file, the multipolygon is defined as at
but the Palosaari island
is not defined in the tile file, because it is too far from the tile
boundaries (tile:lat<62.226562, island:lat>62.274).

Because mkgmap ignores unresolvable relation member references, it will
treat the multipolygon as if it only had the lake in role=outer and no
other members.  The lake polygon is intact in the tile file:

<way id='4717407'>
<nd ref='30037150'/>
<nd ref='335160092'/>
<tag k='name' v='Palokkajärvi'/>
<tag k='natural' v='water'/>
</way>

This matches what I got when downloading and saving in JOSM the following
point at the coastline:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=62.2807084&lon=25.7284731&zoom=18

Last, I grepped the node ids from the tile file.  Only 46 of the 182 nodes
are defined in the tile file.  The northmost included point is this one:
<node id='30037138' lat='62.2692188' lon='25.7421118'/>

Interestingly, the entire lake falls outside the tile boundaries.  The
tile is 59.414063,19.116211 to 62.226562,31.596680
but the south tip of the lake is lat=62.2605.

I can suggest two solutions to this issue:

* splitter should flag and preserve all nodes that belong to ways that belong
to multipolygon relations (I would not care about route relations, for example)

* mkgmap should discard multipolygon relations that consist of only one way

Best regards,

	Marko