logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Analysis of finnland mp seabounds processing

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sat Jan 30 08:05:48 GMT 2010

The generation of the sea polygons with
--generate-sea=multipolygon,no-sea-sectors sometimes still produce
flooded areas.

I have checked the finnland map and found the following things:

1. Some of the inner polygons generated for the seabounds mulitpolygon
sometimes are inverted. Usually the inner polygons should denote all
natural=land but some point out the sea are. This causes the flooding.

I cannot precisely point to lines of code where this happens. It might
have to do with self intersecting polygons.

I have attached a GPX of one of self intersecting and inverted ones.
Open JOSM, import the GPX, convert it to data layer, tag the polygon
with natural=land.
- Compare it with the real map, you will see that it is inverted.
- Run the validator plugin. You will see that it has 27 duplicated nodes
(I don't think that this is a problem). And there is an intersection in
the east on the osmosis boundary shape. This should not create a real
problem for mp. Maybe some parts of the polygon are dropped. But this
might point to a problem of the sea multipolygon creation.

I could easily add a warning if a way intersects itself. Don't know if
that's a performance issue but will test it.

2. Some islands seem to be tagged with natural=land. They are not
considered in creating the sea multipolgyon.
Example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/48666101

Hope these two things help to reduce the flooding.

WanMil