logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Coastline warnings for --generate-sea=polygons at tile border

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Jan 28 21:31:49 GMT 2010

Hi Mark, WanMil,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:53:33PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > Err, that message is not in r1533 - something's screwy!
>
> Sorry for the noise then.  I did "ant clean; ant dist" now.
> I wonder if something is broken in ant's or javac's dependency detector.

Oh, now I got it: I was grepping an old log file.
I forgot -Dlog.config=logging.properties today.
(I was lazy and did not run my osm2img.sh script.
I was even too lazy to copy&paste the command, and typed it from memory.
I was reusing the tiles from yesterday.)

Sorry, it is too late for me now to rerun to get updated log messages.

For what it is worth, I am seeing a similar general flooding for the
southern part of Finland with generate-sea=multipolygon,close-gaps=1000
as with generate-sea=polygons.  Land and sea are inverted south of
lat=60.50997 (approximate, from the GPS unit when running with
generate-sea=multipolygon).

With multipolygon,close-gaps the middle tile (north of Jyväskylä) is not
flooded.  I am even seeing a nice multipolygon (island on the Baltic sea)
at lat=65.01658 lon=24.87991, Hailuoto, west of Oulu.  But the Baltic sea
has a sharp SW corner there.  The sea ends too early in the west before
the Swedish/Finnish border but also in the south.  There is no sea at much
of the west coast.  This could be due to Geofabrik's cutting.  At
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=61.87505&mlon=27.88302&zoom=14
I am seeing an island, but without a tooltip.  I only see the tooltip
"Järvi" (lake) when I hover to the coastline around the island.  Could
this be because the island is just background?  Same for the small island
north of this one.  The islands on the coast of Helsinki should be mapped
well, but unfortunately they are within the inverted land/sea area. :-(

In conclusion, I am getting slightly better results with
generate-sea=multipolygon, but both generate-sea options seem to
be suffering from the inverted land-and-sea near the west and south coasts.
It is as if there map is XORed with a few rectangles, if you think
yellow=1 and blue=0.

Best regards,

	Marko