logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing cities in mapsource search entry field

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 28 16:02:11 GMT 2010

On 28.01.2010 16:56, Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> Did not try it separately. If done in one run, no codepage, no latin1,
>> then index works fine. In my eyes something goes wrong once one leaves
>> the default (plain ASCI) value.
>>
> Yes, you're right, I have made both the UK map and the Baltic map
> without those options and the index is much better. It sometimes still
> pops up a mapsource error dialog when you type an incomplete name and
> press the find button (but, weirdly, doesn't always do that).
>
> So, great, the search index works reliably for cities now. The downside,
> of course, is that all of the accented characters have been replaced
> with their "dumbed down" versions.

Well the more I played with it, the more it becomes apparent that the
whole process of creating addresses and the index is flawed. Very often
a street will be inside a city that is spelled differently.
E.g. many streets in "Mödling, Austria" will be found in "Moedling,
Austria", but "Moedling ist not available in the autocomplete. This
happens whether we use a codepage or not, some other streets are
correctly registered in Modling/Mödling (depending on whether we use a
codepage or not):
This address below cannot be found when entering a city - as inside the
city autocomplete list only Modling exists, but the street somehow got
registered in not existing city Moedling....