logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing cities in mapsource search entry field

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 28 15:49:42 GMT 2010

recreated it one more time, then "Madau" became searchable. Not able to
enter any street starting with "Ma" this time however. Maybe there is
some "leak" when using a codepage and entries get dropped? If no
codepage is given at all it works.

BTW there is another miserable failure. I have both AT Österreich, and
AUT Austria in my map. Some addresses are in "Österreich", some are in
"Austria". When specifying a country via commandline, it should be made
sure that the country gets associated to any address/city inside the
map. Maybe if this gets fixed, then the problem with sending to GPS and
impossible to search for address because being asked for region instead
of country would be solved too???

Also very problematic are cities that are regions by themselves. Like
Berlin, or Vienna. Common sense would be to search for a street inside
Vienna as city, but street can only be found by searching for region
Vienna and entering for city one of the 23 district names (people give
the postal code with their address so one could identify the district,
but that means knowing which postal code any district has). However as
long as it does more or less not work at all on the GPS, such problems
can be solved later (if solvable, as addresses are a mess inside OSM).