logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Help from the style file gurus

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jan 20 16:02:12 GMT 2010

On 20.01.2010 16:54, charlie at cferrero.net wrote:
> Quoting Felix Hartmann<extremecarver at googlemail.com>:
>

>> You are using types that Mapsource does not display. As simple. 0x2b is
>> the last line type Mapsource is using. GPS works to 0x3f.
>> You have to use extended (5 digit) types instead.
>>
> Different versions of MapSource also behave differently.  Since
> upgrading to the latest version, I cannot get it to plot bridge/tunnel
> casings at all, but it worked fine on the older version.

Then don't use crap ids in the range 0x2b-0x3f. Use extened ones instead.
> Unfortunately there seems to be no way to download old versions of
> MapSource from the Garmin website.  In any case, the plotting speed is
> immensely faster in the most recent version (almost instant), so I'm
> reluctant to downgrade just to be able to visualise bridges again.
>
> I've also noticed that MapSource plots overlays as *underlays*,
> whereas the GPS properly plots them as overlays.  So my one-way arrows
> appear *underneath* the road in MapSource, but on top of the road in
> the GPS.  Very annoying!

That has allways been the case. Mapsource draws maps from bottom to top
(because of this lines can disappear behind polygons), GPS first draws
polygons top to bottom (respecting Draw order of course), then lines top
to bottom, then POI top to bottom. It is annoying, but I don't think it
will ever be changed.

For me old Mapsource versions are much much faster (except if you stuff
up your map with too many objects). New versions do cache an image, and
once cached it is instantaneous. Before it's cached, it's much much
slower. Also newer mapsource displays projection fixed to the equator,
which sucks the more north/south you get.

Older Mapsource versions are available from gawisp.com (perry archive).