logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit: r1497: Merge the mp branch to trunk.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Mon Jan 18 23:39:54 GMT 2010

Hi Steve,

> Hi
>
> I have a map of the UK with sea (using --generate-sea=extend-sea-sectors)
>
> This is much better than the last time I tried as it was faster and
> there is no flooded land.
>
> I do get a lot of horizontal and vertical artefacts when zoomed out
> that go away when I zoom in.
>
> I assumed that Mark's patch would be the cure for that, but it doesn't
> appear to make any difference.
>
> Is that right or am I missing something?
>
> ..Steve

My patch doesn't fix the H & V artifacts - I believe those are caused
by mapsource (they also appear in maps made with cgpsmapper).

Sometimes they go away just by panning (without zooming).

What my patch does do is remove the "slim triangles" that occur at the
junction of polygons.

Using the new mp code, I have just made the Baltic map both with and
without my patch and I can assure you it is effective in reducing the
number of artifacts.

It's a shame that the artifacts are so visible in the sea. Although I
think the new mp code is a great step forward, I shall keep using
generate-sea=polygons simply because the H & V artifacts are less
visible (as they are now on the land and not the sea and with a light
background colour, they are not so noticeable).

Also, when using polygons, the lines at the tile boundaries are covered
up.

Mark