logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter feature request - clip to overall bounding box

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sat Jan 16 13:05:07 GMT 2010

On 16.01.2010 13:59, Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> On 16.01.2010 13:48, Mark Burton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,

>>> I would prefer my map to have a nice rectangular outline rather than
>>> being lumpy at the edges so that when you zoom out in mapsource it's
>>> pleasing to the eye.
>>>

>> Having rectangular outline is worse if you activate several maps on the
>> GPS IMHO. You might end up with no map data overlaying map data of other
>> maps. I do prefer a non neat outline too (before it allways caused
>> problems near map borders on GPS). Best would be a polygon boundary
>> following the shape of the map like Garmin topographic maps when not
>> compiling for a rectangular boundary box.
>>
> It would at least be nice to have the option to have a rectangular
> outline even if that isn't the best choice for all users. For some
> (read me), it would be what I wanted.
>
> What I think I want is for the splitter to take a new command line
> option something like: --bounds=A,B,C,D

Wouldn't your request be better handled by integrating an overview map
with rectangular outline?
I just feel that you attack the problem at the wrong place....

(BTW the biggest speedup for maps we can integrate is still to have an
overview map for mapsource that is not empty - on GPS if you go lower
than resolution 18 or 17 anyhow basemap is better suited than detailed
map too.
Would it be so difficult to define in "options" file of style-file that
the lowest resolution (actually a 2 resolution overview map would be
even better) is not input into normal tile but put into overview map?)