logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Text format for TYP files

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 14 22:39:51 GMT 2010

On 14.01.2010 23:07, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> This may be slightly off-topic, I think that it could be useful to have
> a repository of TYP files and associated style definitions.  For example,
> a TYP file would be necessary to define a custom line style for displaying
> bus route information on a separate map layer.
>
> It seems that http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/genTYP is the "de facto"
> text format of TYP files.  According to the home page, the latest release
> was about 3 years ago.
>
> The web based TYP file editor at http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/
> is more recent, but its text output does not seem to be able to export
> all the definitions that the editor is able to create.  Some of the
> source code is available, but there are very few comments (some in Chech)
> and no example of usage.  I was not enough of a Perl expert to figure out
> how to input the binary TYP data for decompilation.  For what it is worth,
> I tried the following, but my call signature of the as_string method is
> obviously wrong.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> require "source.cgi";
> undef $/; $_=<>; print Garmin::TYP::as_string($_);
>
> I wonder if there are any other tools that make use of the genTYP format.
> A textual format like genTYP's (with XPM graphics) would be ideal for a
> TYP file repository.  It would be easy to change parameters
> (such as Family ID) and copy definitions between TYP files with any
> text editor.

I use maptk: http://maptk.dnsalias.com/
it is freeware but not OS - it is however available for Python, Linux
and Windows.

This is the most reliable TYP-File editor/compilor for me. It supports
in text editing and also exporting to genTYP format (PRJ to mapedit
skin). It does not support GUI night mode editing however (I think one
can edit nightmode in text editor).

http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/

has some problems with newer TYP files as used with gmap format maps. I
also find it really slow to use.