logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter details question

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Thu Jan 14 08:25:56 GMT 2010

W> Aah, I don't have any server where I can put the files. I have
W> retried the splitting.
W> http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/austria.osm.bz2 from today
W> (Jan 13th) and that gave the same results.

Thanks for the additional details. I've grabbed a copy of austria.osm.bz2
and will try to reproduce the problem when I get a chance in the next couple
of days.

W> I hope you can reproduce this. Otherwise I have to look for a server
W> where I can upload the files (Does anyone have a temporary
W> FTP-account for ~200MB? ;-)

I'm sure I can; even if not I can always set up an FTP account for you to
upload to directly.

W> I think it would improve the splitter files if the overlap is removed
W> and the ways are bounding box complete plus first nodes outside the
W> bounding box.

Agreed however it's difficult to do that robustly without big performance
penalties. The overlap is a bit of a hack that captures most of those first
nodes (and even ways that cross the tile without actually having a node within
the tile) without having much impact on the split.

W> Anyhow I was impressed how fast the splitter worked on my lame old
W> computer. That's good work!

Thanks. I still have a few more ideas for improving and speeding it up further,
it's just a matter of finding more time to implement them.