logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Split barrier=* and traffic_calming=* to a separate layer?

From Torsten Leistikow de_muur at gmx.de on Wed Jan 13 16:00:36 GMT 2010

Marko Mäkelä schrieb am 13.01.2010 10:05:
> I am not suggesting that mkgmap should generate multi-layered maps by default.
> What I would like to have is a simple set of scripts and styles that users
> could adapt.  Currently, several people have built multi-layered maps and
> many have not released the scripts.  Having open source scripts (and later
> TYP files) would better follow the spirit of OpenStreetMap.

I think the problem I not, that most map generating people haven't released
their scripts. The real problem is, to find these scripts.

I do not think, that a set of such scripts should be included into mkgmap. It is
too much overhead for the different style developer to keep their scripts in the
mkgmap repository up to date.

A much better solution would be a central page in the OSM-wiki, where you would
get an overview of the different styles and a link to the corresponding script
files.

There is already an overview page for complete garmin maps (but I do not know,
how up to date  this page ist). Perhaps it would be a good idea to add a special
section to this page containing not the complete maps but only style related
files for selfmade mapbuilding.

Gruss
Torsten