logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Split barrier=* and traffic_calming=* to a separate layer?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Jan 13 09:05:03 GMT 2010

Hi Charlie,

> > I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to split all barriers
> > (fences, gates, bollards, whatever) and traffic_calming to a separate
> > layer?  These objects are not usually searched for or routed to, and
> > they are not relevant for navigation much of the time.
> To an extent, I disagree.  If you're walking across the countryside, it
> is very useful for navigation to know where the fences, walls and hedges
> are.  Particularly if you tend, like me, not to pre-plan a route but
> just go for a walk/geocache ramble.
>
> Traffic calming measures, obviously, aren't particularly important for
> walkers.

Barriers are useful to know for bicyclists as well, and to some extent to
cars too.  But traffic calming measures are not important for walkers and
bicyclists, unless they are using the same lanes as cars.

> > In other words, I would propose a new style that would translate these
> > points and lines and remove the translations from the default style.
>
> I have gone further, and removed all routing related info to a separate
> invisible layer.  This allows you to overcome the fact that there's only
> one routable roundabout type/style in the default.  But you need to use
> TYP files to do this properly.

I am aware of your efforts, but I would like to start it simple.

[snip]

> Overall, I think what you're suggesting would be quite a shift from the
> current mkgmap philosophy (at least in terms of output) of keeping it
> simple.  The moment you introduce multiple layers/styles in the same map
> you make it much harder to ensure that something isn't going to break
> somewhere on someone's GPS.

I am not suggesting that mkgmap should generate multi-layered maps by default.
What I would like to have is a simple set of scripts and styles that users
could adapt.  Currently, several people have built multi-layered maps and
many have not released the scripts.  Having open source scripts (and later
TYP files) would better follow the spirit of OpenStreetMap.

The barriers admittedly are a somewhat artificial example.  I suppose you
would have nothing against a traffic_calming layer, or perhaps a more generic
traffic restriction layer that would also show stuff like speed and
access limitations (oneway, destination only, etc)?

I would like to have something that works without a TYP file at first.
For me, an even more important example than traffic restrictions would
be a public transportation layer, showing bus and rail (train, tram, subway)
routes.  Could you perhaps help me with this off-list?  I created a simple
TYP file with two line styles, but it is crashing QLandkarteGT and the Edge 705
is ignoring the line styles.

Best regards,

	Marko