logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Jan 12 15:45:01 GMT 2010

On 12.01.2010 16:27, Markus wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
>> There are three formats used by nautic maps:
>> - old "blue chart",
>> - newer G2,
>> - newest G2 vision (including aerial photopgraphy).
>
>> The G2 / G2 vision maps cannot be displayed by Mapsource
>> instead you have to use Garmin Homeport (which is not free).
>
> So the IMG is working on devices who can read "blue chart"?
I think the IMG cannot be read on devices that only support G2/G2 Vision
like the 525. The old blue chart AFAIK only had some additional
linetypes and POIs for nautic purposes - but did not differ a lot from
standard garmin .img maps.

> Homeport:
> It is made for to use Garmin charts on PC?
> Is it also usable for to use OSM charts on Garmin?
> Is there a opensource "derivate" of Homeport?
>
> Any other idea how to get OSM on marine plotters?
>
> Thanks for help!
> Markus
I don't think that mkgmap can write anything like the G2/G2 vision
format. Therefore IMHO the gpsmap 525 is a bad GPS to try. First try an
older nautic GPS that can still read "old" blue chart maps. Homeport is
the PC program for nautic maps, like Mapsource is for streetmaps. (only
that they ask 30$ for it).