logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion - Make Douglas Peucker Algorithm more Configurable

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 7 22:23:40 GMT 2010

On 07.01.2010 23:13, Thilo Hannemann wrote:
> The Douglas Peucker Algorithm might not be the best way to tackle the problem of too small polygons. Right now polygons will be dropped if they have a maximum extension of less than one map unit at the current resolution. The code is in mkgmap/filters/SizeFilter.java if you want to try it, just set MIN_SIZE to a value greater than one should do it.
>
> The "proper" solution would be to merge polygons if they overlap at the current resolution. Otherwise we might get "holes" in forests if they are mapped in small pieces. But I have no idea how to implement that...
>
> Regards
> Thilo

Thanks for that tipp. Will try it out tomorrow (currently just pushing
through map updates...).
Setting this to 5 or 6 might be working well.

It's too bad that the better people will map, the more complicated
rendering becomes.