logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion - Make Douglas Peucker Algorithm more Configurable

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Thu Jan 7 22:13:50 GMT 2010

The Douglas Peucker Algorithm might not be the best way to tackle the problem of too small polygons. Right now polygons will be dropped if they have a maximum extension of less than one map unit at the current resolution. The code is in mkgmap/filters/SizeFilter.java if you want to try it, just set MIN_SIZE to a value greater than one should do it.

The "proper" solution would be to merge polygons if they overlap at the current resolution. Otherwise we might get "holes" in forests if they are mapped in small pieces. But I have no idea how to implement that...

Regards
Thilo