logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Multiple .img files in one gmapsupp.img: Some will not show up

From Simon Eugster livin.shadow at gmail.com on Thu Jan 7 17:09:29 GMT 2010

Good evening,

I'm using mkgmap r1466 and splitter r103.

With my python script [1] I at first build .img files of various .osm.bz2
files and then put some of them into a gmapsupp.img file.

I do _not_ regenerate the .img files each time I create a gmapsupp.img. For
image files of maps which did not change I replace the family ID (binary
search&replace, in libGarmin.py in the bz2; see [1]). The family ID is
_unique_ for every single file.

Now my problem is that some tiles are simply missing. I just tried to build
an Europe map, and Germany lacks about half of all tiles. For available
tiles there is a rectangle on the map when zooming out to 200km+ (on my
60CSx), and they are missing in Germany. Spain is completely missing.

When I go to «Setup Map» on the 60CSx, I see lots of entries like:
* OSM street map, Area 00010005, Jan 2010
* OSM street map, Area 00010000, Jan 2010
But at least as much of these:
* , , Jan 2010
At least some of them do contain data. I could locate one of them in Germany.

Question: What is going wrong there? Why are some tiles missing? Why is
there an empty description (, , Jan 2010) for some tiles?

Here the arguments I am using:

SPLITTER
--mapid=%s --status-freq=1 --geonames-file=%s %s

MKGMAP
--adjust-turn-headings --check-roundabouts --merge-lines --keep-going
--remove-short-arcs --latin1 --route --make-all-cycleways
--add-pois-to-areas --preserve-element-order --location-autofill=1
--country-name="%s" --country-abbr=%s -n %s %s

MKGMAP (gmapsupp.img)
--gmapsupp %s
(with all .img files as argument)

Any help is appreciated.