logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion - Make Douglas Peucker Algorithm more Configurable

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jan 6 22:42:25 GMT 2010

Essentially the best option for drawing Polygons would be to determine
their "resolution" based on size. So make large forests appearing at
lower resolutions than small forests (well I think we all know that best
would be if resolution of any element were adapted to map density, but I
think that is even more complicated). I don't think this would be an
easy task. Depending on the area or country (e.g. France with the Corine
land cover import) putting forests at low resolutions really slows down
map panning.

An "easy" compromise could be to put "stronger" douglas peucker filter
on polygons than on roads (I currently use 5.4, because 10 seems to be
too strong on roads). However for Polygons a value of 10 works pretty
well. It would be great if there would be support for that (I don't know
if the douglas peucker filter is applied after or before the style-file,
if before of course the above will not be "easy"). The better mapped
countries are getting, the more importance choosing the proper
resolutions will have. The changes to the default style over the last
weeks were already a good step forward, but outside of cities OSM rarely
has more than 20-30% of ways and landuse covered (I dare people in
future will not draw few big forests, but split up more and more
detailed) so the solely based on tags approach will become more and more
difficult... (well at least I hope the difference between countryside
and cities will flatten out a bit).