logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap:carpool=1

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Jan 3 19:29:57 GMT 2010

On 03.01.2010 19:34, Mark Burton wrote:
> Hello Felix,
>

>> This setting was once really useful.....
>>
>> Now it is hardcoded into mkgmap to set all transport types except bus
>> and emergency to no. Could this please be reversed!!!!
>>
> Actually, no. That's because the "carpoolness" of a way is specified by
> having all of the access bits except for CARPOOL, EMERGENCY (and,
> optionally, BUS) disabled. That's how it becomes a carpool way. The
> fact that, say, BICYCLE access is disabled for a carpool way will not
> stop a bicycle routing over that way unless the GPS/mapsource is told
> to avoid carpool lanes. That's how it works.

Well I found out why we were both right. There is a difference in how it
works depending on routing "faster time" vs "shorter distance" (at least
using Mapsource). When playing around with the setting I was using
"faster time". Now switching to "shorter distance" I was buffled about
really bad routing in some places and therefore found out about this
behaviour.
>> If people want to use it for not allowing those types of transport, it
>> would be much better to be able to set them individually! (and yes I
>> know bus/emergency will be disrespected when carpool attribute is set).
>> There is no sense in blocking this, if all GPS have a checkbox to block
>> carpool lanes anyhow!
>>
> You cannot disable access for specific vehicle types (e.g. TAXI) if the
> way is a carpool.

That I did know...

Concluding:
So a road tagged mkgmap:carpool=1 will also be excluded from routing
"shorter distance" inside Mapsource (exception emergency and bus which
will also use it on shorter distance). Effectively anyone using this
should think twice about whether it makes sense or not.

Felix