logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] SEVERE (PolishMapDataSource): error decoding label

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Dec 26 12:00:08 GMT 2009

Hi

On 12/24/2009 06:51 PM, Igor Brejc wrote:
> I'm trying to generate Garmin maps files from Polish maps generated by
> GroundTruth. I get the following exception (using the latest version of
> mkgmap):
>
> SEVERE (PolishMapDataSource): error decoding label
> java.nio.charset.UnmappableCharacterException: Input length = 1

This is caused by a character in the input that cannot be represented
in the target character set.

Instead of throwing an error when this happens I will change the code
so that it just replaces the character with a '?' character.

There is also the problem with the character set and encoding used to
write the input .mp file.  We have changed the code in mkgmap a number
of times to try and match commonly found .mp files.  Currently we read
.mp files as though they are in utf-8 and then convert into the target
codepage.  This is common for OSM derived files, since the names are
in utf-8 to begin with, but I don't know if this is true in general or
recommened.  Are the labels written by GroundTruth in utf-8, or are
they already converted into the target codepage (or something else:)?

Regards,

..Steve