logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] House numbers supported?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Dec 20 08:08:50 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 03:34:30PM +1100, Hendrik Oesterlin wrote:
> >> I tried to put some house numbers in OSM in order to be searchable on
> >> my Garmin device.
> >>
> >> See
> >> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-22.275439&lon=166.45965&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
> >> and
> >> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-22.15022&lon=166.48473&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
> >> for the two test locations.
> >>
> >> I was unable to find this house numbers on my Nüvi755. (using the
> >> 20091216_gmapsupp.zip available at my site
> >> http://www.oesterlin.ile.nc/gps/ )
> >>
> >> Is this feature supported by mkgmap?
>
> > As far as I can tell, it is not yet supported.
>
> It should be possible to convert the OSM nodes containing the
>
> addr:housenumber
> addr:street
> addr:postcode
> addr:city
> addr:country
>
> tags  to  an  POI  using  as  name  something like
> "housenumber  street  postcode  city  country"  and  building=yes  (or
> something similar)?
>
> Has someone already written an appropriate line to put in the "points"
> file of the styles folder?

I believe that the original question was about house numbers that would
appear on the map like they do in paid-for Garmin maps: without a POI,
displayed in a tooltip when you hover the pointer next to the street line.
I saw this about 4 months ago on a friend's Edge 705.  There were no POIs
or polygons in the area; just a residential street on a yellow background.

> Or  has  someone  written  an  regular  expression  code regrouping the
> different  addr:*  tags  in  an  name=*  tag  before  the  OSM data is
> converted by mkgmap ?

Something like this should work to that effect:

building=* { name '${addr:housenumber|def:} ${addr:street|def:} ${addr:postcode|def:} ${addr:city|def:} ${addr:country|def:}' }

But I do not see the point of this.  If you select a POI on the map,
the POI details screen will already display these addr:* tags and
the phone number, at least on the Edge 705.

I do not really know anything about this.  My not-so-well-educated
guess is that the house numbers could show up if you ran mkgmap --index
and uploaded the map to the device from MapSource.  I have never tried
either.

Best regards,

	Marko