logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] naming map layers in a gmapsupp.img

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Dec 15 15:00:01 GMT 2009

Garvan & maew wrote:
> Charlie Ferrero wrote:
>> charlie at cferrero.net wrote:

>>> I have noticed the same problem on my GPSMap.  The name shown is that
>>> of the top layer, no matter what options have been used to compile
>>> each layer.  All layers have a different family ID.  I combine files
>>> using sendmap, not mkgmap, incidentally, so the problem is not
>>> occurring in the combine step.
>>>

>> As a correction, the above should have read:
>> "The *series* name shown is that of the top layer, no matter what
>> options have been used to compile each layer."
>>

>> The full list of options is
>> Restore Defaults
>> Restore All Map Defaults
>> Show All
>> Show None
>> Show Basemap
>> Show International Mari [sic]
>> Hide CF OSM map series
>> Hide CF OSM map series
>>

> I recommend you make a test map using all the naming parameters, and
> track which name goes where. You are missing --series-name and --area-name.
>
> I upload maps with MapSource, and the menu name you wish to change is
> taken from the --family-name (as far as I can see).

Oh, I set -series-name, -family-name and -area-name separately.  This is
how I know that the name that is visible in the GPS menu is the series
name (not the area-name or family-name).

Perhaps the problem is that I am not uploading the maps from Mapsource
but instead just copying the gmapsupp.img file directly to the SD card
(because this is many times quicker than uploading via the USB cable).

For the record,

series-name: This is the name displayed in the top-left drop down list
in MapSource and that is visible in the GPS menu (but only the series
name of the top layer)

family-name: This is the name that appears in MapSource's Map Product
Manager (CTRL+U) and is also ascribed to each tile if transferred using
send-map

area-name: This is the name that appears against each tile in the GPS
unit if transferred manually by copying a gmapsupp.img to SD card

Charlie