logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Contours in maps

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Sat Dec 12 15:19:59 GMT 2009

On 12/12/2009 02:59 PM, Simon Eugster wrote:

> Now what?

Contours work fine.

I use Srtm2OSM to create the OSM files, then the mkgmap-splitter to
split into tiles, then mkgmap to create the map.

See
http://www.kleineisel.de/blogs/index.php/osmmap/2009/09/17/how-to-make-a-topographic-map
for details.

I have separate transparent overlay maps for the contours only.

For the contour layers you can use this as a line style file:

contour=elevation & contour_ext=elevation_minor
         { name '${ele|conv:m=>ft}'; }
         [0x20 resolution 23]
contour=elevation & contour_ext=elevation_medium
         { name '${ele|conv:m=>ft}'; }
         [0x21 resolution 22]
contour=elevation & contour_ext=elevation_major
         { name '${ele|conv:m=>ft}'; }
         [0x22 resolution 20]

In the alps you can use the height files from viewfinderpanoramas.org
for improved accuracy.