logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1429: Cosmetic changes to the default style: Add comments and do not sort

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Thu Dec 10 08:05:13 GMT 2009

Greg Troxel wrote:
>   Version 1429 was commited by marko on 2009-12-09 22:11:45 +0000 (Wed, 09 Dec 2009)
>
>   Cosmetic changes to the default style: Add comments and do not sort
>   the highway=* alphabetically but by descending order of class,
>   i.e., motorway, trunk, primary, secondary, tertiary, etc.
>
> I'm glad to see this.  I have thought that there should be something
> almost like a 'design document' for the style that explains the grand
> plan, although with individual comments that becomes more or less not
> needed.

Building on this,  each style file could have a standard 'header' of
comments that explain to the user what's going on.
Here's an example:

# -------------------------------------------------------------------
# points style file (default)
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
# This is the default mkgmap style file for converting OSM data
# into Garmin POIs
# Any line prefaced with # is a comment and will not be applied
# Each line is a rule, of the generalised format:
#  OSM_tag(s)_to_match  [Garmin_type_code resolution]
# See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/style_rules
# and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/Custom_styles
# for more information

--