logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Support for advanced multipolygons?

From Nop ekkehart at gmx.de on Wed Dec 9 18:07:18 GMT 2009

Hi!

Am 09.12.2009 16:41, schrieb Torsten Leistikow:
> Nop schrieb am 08.12.2009 22:09:
> Actually I am not sure, whether the advanced multipolygons themself are a
> particularly good idea. So perhaps this might be a perfect match :-)
>
> In the end, there are two possible solutions for this problem:
> Either the advanced multipolygons are used more and more, so that we have to
> adapt mkgmap some day, for beeing satisfied with our maps.
> Or the OSM-Garmin maps are used more and more, so that the users will stop
> mapping the advanced multipolygons, because they are missing in their maps.

I am not much in favour of the advanced multipolygons myself and have
pointed out the problems involved, but since they are documented as
state-of-the-art in the wiki, the algorithm to implement them is
published and they are already supported both by Mapnik and Osmarender,
there is no point in whishing them to go away.

In the data I am compiling for my maps I am observing a rising use of
those multipolygons, that was the reason for my question. There has also
been an earlier "bug" report by extremecarver on this. I think it is
just a matter of time until this has to be solved, I just wondered
whether the time has already come. :-)

bye
	Nop