logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Marko is maintaining the mkgmap default style file

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon Dec 7 10:01:44 GMT 2009

On 07.12.2009 08:37, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:17:50AM +0000, svn commit wrote:
>
>> Version 1418 was commited by marko on 2009-12-07 07:17:50 +0000 (Mon, 07 Dec 2009)
>>
>> Bus and rail stops with a lit shelter.
>>
> This is my first direct commit to the mkgmap source repository.
> Steve returned from vacation and granted me commit access to the
> mkgmap svn repository.
>
> I will try to be somewhat conservative with changes to the default style.
> I think that the default style should work with all devices and without
> a TYP file.  Later on, if we include TYP files in mkgmap styles, we could
> come up with a little fancier style.  Even there, I would not use tricks
> that can considerably slow down the map display, such as duplicating
> ways to multiple layers for additional line styles.

-- only information that is shown slows down the display. So duplicating
without style-file will slow down the display speed.
However the default style is anyhow really overloaded. The first thing
to do is to put highway exits up to 18 or 19. Then I would look to
increase some other road types by 1-3.
> In the short term, I will test the amenity=embassy patch that was posted
> some weeks ago.  I would also like to commit the following, to display
> speed bumps, humps and chicanes as white circles on the road at zoom levels
> 120m or closer:
>
> +traffic_calming=* [0x6614 resolution 21]

Such thinkgs have nothing to do in default style IMHO as they are
useless for non car users. Especially once widespread mapped resolution
21 is too early. Not before 24 I would put things like traffic_lights
and their like. However all of this only really works well with typfiles.

You should tryout the default style drawing speed in Germany or the
Netherlands - other places detail level will sometimes catch up, and so
to say - less is more. I a country is 100% street and waymapped, then
the current style is far too overloaded in low resolutions.