logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Patch v2 for better Autorouting

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Dec 2 13:36:56 GMT 2009

On 02.12.2009 13:08, Clinton Gladstone wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 0:45, Felix Hartmann wrote:
>

>> I changed some stuff to make routing a bit better. Anyone tried it out?
>>
> I tried the original patch, but found sadly (using Roadtrip on the Mac) that routing actually got worse. This was for a map of Germany. The directions were particularly unusual: on one ramp for onto the A7, I received the routing direction "Keep right on ramp" about 7 times.
>
> This may be because I use the DP filter set to 10, and the merge nodes options.
>
> Cheers.
Well for Mapsource I also had no real improvement (somtimes a bit
shorter, sometimes a bit more highways/big streets). But on my Vista HCx
routing over very long distances really improved. On a Nuvi I tried I
had no more routing errors no matter where in Europe I tried to route
to. I think Mapsource/Roadtrip mainly suffer from inter tile routing
problems, while routing over tile boarders on the GPS makes no
difference. I also noted the "keep on .. ramp" things, I don't really
understand why this happens here, with my mtb maps I don't have this
problem.

I'm not using the merge-nodes option, never improved routing for me,
only made it worse (both in Mapsource and on GPS).