logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1410: Add --merge-lines option to combine lines at lower zoom levels.

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Dec 1 22:01:29 GMT 2009

On 01.12.2009 22:43, Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Johann,
>

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> if your guess is true (it indeed seems so), then this would mean that
>> there is some linking between the graphical line and the arc. I know
>> there is a one to one link at highest resolution. There seems to be link
>> at lower resolutions too.
>>
>> This may well be the unknown reason for the improving of the routing
>> with the merge-lines option.
>>
> Perhaps, but that is a mystery to me.
>

>> What I do not understand: How can I link a long line to a lot of arcs.
>> There must be a way, as the original garmin maps contains long lines
>> too. Are there some arcs for lower resolutions too?
>>
> So far, I have not seen any evidence of that.
>
> What I have seen in some maps created by cgpsmapper is what I call
> "short-circuit arcs". These are extra arcs that jump over some of the
> points in the way to make a more direct route. Here's some ascii art
> that illustrates what I mean:
>

>       ---------SCA---------
>       |                   |

Well I suppose those short-circuit lines are related to avoiding turn
time penalties, or artificially set them. This is in my part (well said
it often enough) - the most important thing for good routing, the only
workaround being what I wrote down in the patch before - but of course
this adds to map size much more than short-circuits would do.
Are these arcs visible within gpsmapedit? I have not seen them (maybe
did not look well enough).