logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Style-file repository?

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Fri Nov 27 00:22:48 GMT 2009

I have made custom styles and typ for my OSM Philippine maps and would
be happy to share them and learn from others as well.

Some shots:

http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/new-osm-ph-garmin-map-release-sept-200909/
http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/new-osm-ph-garmin-map-release-nov-2009/

All icons from my minimal.typ are public domain.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> writes:
>
>> I think that the default style should still be maintained.  There is some
>> value in having sensible defaults.  I do see value in other styles and
>> hacks, such as distinguishing different types of paths by drawing multiple
>> lines per way or repurposing taxi/delivery/emergency flags for custom
>> bicycle routing, but I would keep the default style bare-bones.
>
> Agreed.  The default is close to that - what a 'normal' user would want.
>
>> I must say that I have not played with other styles than the default.
>> Is it possible to include the definitions of another style by reference
>> and override them?  That would allow improvements in the default style
>> to be automatically applied to other styles.  In that way, custom styles
>> would be easier to maintain and understand, as they would not copy large
>> amounts of definitions from other styles.
>
> At least mostly, maybe totally.  See resources/styles/noname.
>
>> Agreed.  But I think that we should have the files in an editable format
>> (a text file that is converted to binary TYP by a simple program) and the
>> origin and the copyright information of every icon has to be clearly
>> documented.
>
> There seems to be perl code to run as cgi that does text/typ, so it
> should be possible to turn this into something that can checked in and
> part of the build, or of mkgmap.
>

> Long term, it would be cool to have a design for a joint style file and
> TYP file that maps OSM objects to codepoints beyond what base garmin can
> do and then makes those codepoints show up sensibly with a TYP file.
> This is currently beyond what I grasp.

cheers,
maning