logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Map end user documentation?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Nov 21 22:00:05 GMT 2009

Now that the days are getting short at my latitude (60N), I can easily
distinguish lit=yes/no for highway=bus_stop, shelter=yes.  I am going to
submit a patch to the default style, to replace the '+' for shelter=yes
with '*' if the shelter is lit.  The use case would be that you get a flat
tyre from the scrambled stones that they are spreading on cycleways in the hope
that it might get icy for a couple of days before the spring.  Then you might
want to find the nearest lit shelter where you can fix the tyre, so that you
don't have to stand in the rain under a street lamp.

I was thinking that these */+/- codes can be cryptic for map users.  Is
there already some map user documentation for mkgmap-generated maps?  Where
should it live?  In the OSM wiki or on the mkgmap server?  The master copy
could live in the mkgmap source repository (so that it would be updated
in sync with the default style), but I think that it would be good to have
a browseable copy somewhere else.

Best regards,

	Marko