logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Naming cycleways or footways by the adjacent highway

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Nov 18 07:30:17 GMT 2009

Hallo Felix,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:04:45PM +0100, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> I wouldn't even use routable cycleway=*;
>
> But in my opinion a map shared for car/cycle use anyhow will not work out.
> Better add visual cycleways beside the road to distinguish them.

I find routable cycleways extremely useful.  For instance, the cycleways
along the Helsinki ring roads (Kehä I and Kehä III) are illogical and
very poorly signed.  You must know which tunnels to take, or you will
notice (if you are lucky) a few hundred meters later that you are on the
wrong road or the cycleway is a dead end.  (The motor vehicle road is
forbidden from foot and bicycle traffic.)  In some junctions, you will
easily get to the wrong cycleway, effectively taking a turn instead of
continuing straight on.  In these cases, it would be useful to see
"Kehä I" or "Kehä III" on cycleways, even though they are in the middle
of a forest, 100 meters away from cars.

This is not really a mkgmap question, but I thought that producers of
bicycle oriented maps (guys like you) could already have an answer.
But I guess MTB'ing is a quite different hobby from touring or
"utility bicycling".  (At least once per month, I am riding 50 to 100 km
in one day when doing errands.  The bicycle is my "car" and the Edge 705
allows me to take shortcuts that avoid unpleasant major roads.)

I think I will have to bring this up on a more general forum.  I do not
have the guts to edit http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name
without discussion.

Best regards,

	Marko