logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] indexing stuff

From Du Plessis, Bennie Bennie.DuPlessis at sappi.com on Fri Nov 6 12:45:56 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Valentijn Sessink [mailto:valentyn at blub.net]
Sent: 05 November 2009 17:43 PM
To: Development list for mkgmap
Subject: [mkgmap-dev] indexing stuff

Hello list,

I tried the indexing stuff for the first time. It does work a little

bit: it will find the location of streets if I select them from the list

of all streets. However, I can't seem to search for streets or cities.

Also, the country of all these is "country" and in the list of cities,

there is an "ABC" behind the names - could that be a hard coded state
name?

(I suppose the above is just how it works now and nothing to worry
about).

Best regards,

Valentijn

-----------------------------

Hi Valentijn,

No, I don't think this is just how it works now.

I get the impression that some people has fully functional address
search on their devices? Someone please confirm.

For myself address search is still not available on the device.

I have tried Felix' mtb maps of my area, and the problem remains. So I
don't think my compiling methods (options used) is to blame.

Possibilities are:

      1) Not all devices can cope with --index.

I use Nuvi200W, someone had exact same complain using Nuvi250 "Device
asks for province/state and can't find any"

Problem is that with the original Garmin map my device ask for country,
and then city- never province

      2) OSM input data insufficient. Maybe there is no address data in
the file and that might be what is required?

I see a lot of "fix my address" labels that I can't find in the OSM
data, so might be generated by mkgmap? Or maybe I just can't find it.

I deleted all is_in tags, but it had no effect, I added is_in tags- no
effect.

I deleted all is_in:state tags, but it had no effect, I added
is_in:state tags- no effect. (same with is_in:province)

      3) No-one else can get it to work on the device, and we're just
assuming everyone else is happy, or maybe resigned?

I believe "ABC" is mkgmap's default --country-abbr if you don't specify
it. I am unsure whether "country" is mkgmap's default country-name?

I am not complaining - All & all I am extremely happy with the work all
these developers have done.

So I can't search streets by address - so what - I am quite happy with
-road-name-pois=0x2f15 for now.

On the other hand I gladly share ny findings just to help development.

BTW I found a style file work around to increase routing distance.

Where my map's max was 1400km before I can now route up to 2200km, by
simply upgrading the road-class of the major long distance connector
roads.

BennieD

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security solution.
Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com